Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I think having a truly free speech board has many benefits and allows people to vent.

Look at the terms of service and how it is applied. Posts are deleted for copyright, personal attacks, and other reasonable issues, not controlling free speech. There are political boards where all manner of strange things get said and are tolerated because it is a community which is interested in that point of view. Most TMF investment boards are self-policing with respect to politics, e.g., Saul's, where he will let a political exchange go a short while and then shut it down. I gather there are some boards where TMF themselves takes a more active role in keeping down the politics, perhaps because there is a TMFer who regularly reads those boards or because there is a history of violations.

This is very much *NOT* a pattern of limiting free speech. The most you can say is that it is a standard of putting the speech where it belongs with the exception of offensive speech which belongs nowhere.

This is the only board at TMF which has an overt purpose of discussing a specific type of investing which is regularly and lengthily interrupted by political screeds. Unfortunately, as it attracts new readers and possible contributors, there are many who leave again because they can't handle the tone and the interruption. This seems like a loss to me. It wasn't always this way and it used to have more readers and contributors. We have had some uptick lately, possibly cross fertilization from Saul's board with valuable new members ... many of which now seem like they are being scared away.

How this is worth spouting off anything that comes to your mind regardless of where you are eludes me.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.