No. of Recommendations: 3
I think I may have a potential way around the death of Quicken '16 on April 30th. It's my understanding downloads from your bank to quicken will no longer be allowed but why couldn't you do a 'comma delimited' download to an Excel spreadsheet then print the spreadsheet and manually check off the outstanding checks?

I know this is cludgy (sp) but if all you use Quicken for is a checkbook it might be workable.

I milked Q2006 for over a decade without downloads. I downloaded stock prices from Yahoo, and lived with manually entering prices for options and bonds. I never wanted to download transactions, just entered them manually and reconciled the account.

Eventually, I got a new computer without a CD drive. Bit the bullet, bought the subscription. Tested downloads, since I was on a subscription anyway. Bottom line, for me:

- Downloads from Fidelity are the bomb. I get all the prices, even the ones Yahoo doesn't have and Quicken price download gives bad data for. I still enter most transactions manually, and match them; but there are some that I just wait for the download so it will be entered correctly.

- Downloads for my credit cards were a massive fail. I have a lot of same amount, same vendor transactions. Maybe half of them failed to match, and I couldn't see a pattern to which ones did and didn't. Solution: Turn off downloads. Manual account reconciliation was easier.

- Didn't test downloads for checking and savings accounts. Don't have enough transactions in those accounts to be worth any sort of administrative difficulty with downloading.

So, yes, I expect Q2016 will work for a very long time after downloads are turned off. You just have to find a method of data acquisition or reconciliation that is an acceptable level of effort for you.

And you're not required to put your data in the cloud. The only reason I see to do so is for remote data entry via the phone app. That's clumsy. I've tested investment info in the cloud. What shows is not enough to work with, so I turned it off.

I'm not fond of annual subscriptions either, but it does seem to be the way the software industry is going. FWIW, I found that the subscription is cheaper if I shop around. I expect renewals will be the same deal; shop the sale, a few months before the subscription expires, instead of letting it auto-renew.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.