Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I think if I sell only enough to keep it under $1k, each year then send it to my other taxed account I will be able to keep the IRA tax problem small and hit the under 1K.

I'm confused. Your original post said With your limited partnership position being in an IRA, you are currently receiving a K-1 and a 990-T for Unrelated Business Taxable Income

If your IRA had to file a 990-T, you were over the $1000 limit for 2019, so you didn't succeed at 'sell only enough to keep it under $1k, each year'. Were you trying to limit it for 2019? Did you not understand that there was a limit, or did you just mess up and sell too much, even though you knew there was a limit, or something else? How are you planning on managing the UBTI in the future? How are you going to be adjusting each year for the additional ROC that you are getting in dividends, even though you may not know how much of the dividend you got already this year may be ROC until after you get your K-1 the year after the sale?

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.