Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think if the ring is important to her, it should happen

Yep, this it is. Obviously from my original post you can tell that I'm not hopped up excited about spending thousands on jewelery. It's not that I wouldn't spend a little, but it just seems crazy to me to spend $6, $8, $10K on a rock. I'm frugal after all!

My GF isn't about the price, but there is a balance between price and her expectations of what the ring will be. Some quarter-carat carbon-pocked stone ain't gonna cut it. We're likely talking a 1-carat stone here. I have no idea what that will run.

Fortunately, a connection should yield a price that is a lot closer to wholesale than retail, but we'll see. Personally, I'd rather there was something else to demonstrate commitment and desire to move to marriage than having to shell out thousands for a stone.

It's interesting ... my GF is a responsible money manager, but she grew up in a family that was a bit more traditional -- her and her sister are the first women to not be taken care of financially by their husbands. She works, makes a good salary, saves a great deal, shops for bargains, is careful not to overspend, but will not sacrifice buying the things she wants provided she can afford them.

Thus, as a diamond is technically within my budget, its technically affordable and fits the tradition she expects. I just have a hard time reconciling the expense with my own frugality. The success of our marriage will have little to do with the size of the ring. The level of affection and commitment isn't altered by it either. So why is it necessary? Because DeBeers has conned us into thinking so.

I have an issue with that. But it's not an argument I'm gonna win.

:-)

CPAScott
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.