No. of Recommendations: 2
I think most of the replies are making a lot of assumptions. I suspect that the actual cost could vary a lot - and your suggested numbers are a fairly reasonable range. Much will depend on what is existing in the structure.

Take electric. I recently had a new electric breaker panel installed. The cost was a bit over $2k. If everything is wired up to a single electric panel, at a minimum you'll need a second panel and then you'll need to split the circuits up by which unit they serve. And you may find that some circuits serve both units. I'd expect this if the house were originally built as a single family and later split into a 2 family.

On the other hand, if each unit already has it's own breaker (or fuse) panel, adding a second meter could be pretty inexpensive.

For gas, it's quite possible that a single line runs from the meter into the structure, and then splits to serve each kitchen, heater, and water heater. Depending on the layout, there could be a single trunk line through the house with each of these items branching off of that trunk. Splitting this up would involve opening up several walls to add additional lines. Then again, they could split right after the meter, with separate lines going into each unit. That would be much easier.

Water has similar issues to gas. It all depends on how the lines run inside the structure. Could be easy, could be very hard.

Unfortunately, it's likely pretty hard to determine where all of these lines run and how they split off to the various end-uses. The electric might be the easiest to figure out. A single breaker panel will make it hard. Separate breaker panels in each unit will be much easier and cheaper.

I'd also think about what other renovation plans you have for the property. If you're planning to do extensive renovations, with multiple walls opened up for work, that could make it much easier to separate the utilities. Access to the interior lines will be available, making the work for the professionals easier and the added costs lower. If you're not planning on anything more complicated than paint and flooring, the costs to separate utilities could be higher because of the access issues. Not only will the professionals need to knock holes in the wall, they will have to be patched back up.

You might be able to figure some of this out just by inspection. Where are the breaker panels? Can you see T fittings in the lines between the meter and the structure?

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.