Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think Nortel will prove itself a king in the optical transport space next quarter as Lucent is slipping badly. They have been unable to execute their strategy of using in-house product development, and continue to lose key people. Their market share is likely to continue to drop. See http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=929 for a discussion of the market share figures you quoted.

There are likely to be a number of games within the optical networking space. Long-haul transport seems to be a royalty game now, but could become a gorilla game if someone has proprietary control over a technology that dramatically improves transport efficiency (e.g. Corvis). In my limited knowledge, a gorilla game could develop in the optical switching space where there a number of different technologies (mirrors, bubbles, acoustic wave, etc) striving for first mover advantage.

The following article suggests that Sycamore may be facing a strong challenge from Corvis, which is going public soon.
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=934

The impression I get from the lightreading articles is that it's still very early. Build-out of optical networking is going to take quite a bit of time. In my community (Milwaukee), TimeWarner has just begun to offer broadband, so I'm guessing it'll be 5 years before I have access to an optical network.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.