Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
I think some members of this board have a little bit of an obsession with "the gap" and that's unfortunate because they miss some real great opportunities waiting for them to fill. Are we LTBH or are we trading gaps?

My understanding is that a gap will tend to suck you in because it is a price at which the stock has never traded and acts like a vacuum. But is this the case if the gap was "filled" previously, as is the case with QCOM? Does it necessarily have to be that a gap up (which is generally considered a bullish sign outside of this board) must be filled??? What if a couple of weeks or months earlier the stock had been at that price? Then does the gap still have to fill?

It's not all black and white, as some posters here consider it to be. I believe all of your beloved gaps are filling here more as a function of a bear market than anything else. I remember that back when the bull was rampant everyone was waiting for a gap to fill on QCOM... around a split adjusted $17. Of course, it never filled and the opportunity was missed.

The market and the forces that move stock prices are far too complex to be reduced to such a simple concept as "don't buy it... there's a gap there." It can be one tool in your chest, to be sure, but it shouldn't have anywhere near the importance that this board seems to give to it, IMO. Gap or no gap, stocks are going down now for their own reasons.

Sorry for the rant.

Rt.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.