Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I think that Buffett achieved returns way north of 50% from around 1951-1955. I recall seeing someone break it down here on a thread a while back. I don't have access to "The Making of an American Capitalist" right now, but I think you can pretty much back it out from that. Buffett went from around a $10,000 net worth in 1951 to something like $160,000 in 1955, without earning much more than $10,000 at any point. That implies a pretty hefty return.

I recall in the book there are a few pages describing those years. Buffett was pretty eager and brash in the Graham-Newman days. He was going nuts that Graham was too conservative (one of those times he had "more ideas than money") and did a lot of trading in his private account. Lots of stuff like the cocoa-bean arbitrage that is mentioned in the book and also by Buffett himself in the recently posted U of F talk. He probably couldn't put too much to work there, but it was basically a risk-free arbitrage that provided ridiculous annualized returns.

Ben
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.