No. of Recommendations: 3
I think that is the type of optionality. Not conglomerates but using their dominant core business to leverage I to adjacencies.

OKTA is huge at this. Elastic has this as their business plan. Zscaler is hyper focused on two products at present, the newer is recent. Zscaler has many adjacencies it can move into. Twilio is doing this as they moved from their basic messaging to higher valued packaged services. Mongo...TEAM...

You get the drift. Taking your core and leveraging it into adjacencies.

Exactly, Tinker.

So bringing this back to ZM (so as not to create a OT debate about Google or the merits of optionality as an investing concept)....

For each of the companies you mentioned (OKTA, ZS, ESTC, TWLO, TEAM) it is not very hard to see or imagine how they will/are using their core business to leverage adjacencies (to use your definition of optionality--one I agree with); my question remains: can one imagine how ZM will leverage its current advantage in cloud video conferencing (its "core") to become a more robust version of itself?

As you say well: Anyways leveraging your core business to move into and dominate adjacencies. That is the optionality that has created the giants of modern time and we see this w so many of the companies we follow now.

The only idea put forward so far for ZM, and an excellent one, is in VR space as it further develops. But that all seems a ways off. ZM isn't a little start up, it's a company with a $16B market cap. That we struggle to see what's next for this company in terms of opportunities to build out a line of offerings and services, gives me pause as an investor.

My question stands and I'll avoid ZM until I have satisfied myself with a clearer view of the durable advantage this company might have (or does not have)...

My goal, for my growth stock investing, is to try to find and invest in the up and coming "giants" of our time.

'Nuff said. Not going to beat the horse further. Especially since this thread is getting a little long in the tooth. ;)

Foolin' on! Swift...
Long OKTA, ZS, TWLO, TEAM, GOOG
No position ZM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.