Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I think that's a bit ridiculous. We don't know what might have happened if the Korean's routine had been scored out of a tenth higher start value. We don't know how he would have scored, we don't know if Paul Hamm's routine would have scored even better than it did if the Korean's routine had been scored higher. If Paul Hamm were to give up his medal, would the 2nd place finisher be expected to give up his medal to Hamm? I have to agree with Tim Daggett when he said "at some point, the game has to be over."

I have not really seen scoring controversy like this before (admittedly I only get to watch major meets on TV and college meets, so for all I know it happens all the time elsewhere). It seemed to only happen in the men's this time too - but don't they submit their routines in advance and shouldn't they know what their start values are in advance? Two members of the US men's team were told 2 days before that their routines were going to be scored lower, then Brett McClure's final routine (rings, I think) had a lower start value than normal. I guess I don't understand how this happens. When I watch diving, everyone knows what the degree of difficulty of the dive is, and there's no "at this meet it's scored out of a 3, but at this meet they scored it out of a 3.4." Though I know these sports will always be subjective, it seems they would want to standardize them as much as possible. Any gymnastics experts want to weigh in on this? Steph?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.