No. of Recommendations: 3
I think the best thing you could do to market your FSBO would be to make sure it is on the MLS and that there is absolutely no ambiguity as to what commission you are ready to pay the buyer's agent to bring them to the table.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
So, I am going to note these new features in my Zillow listing. However, I was thinking about having a couple of small signs made that say something about a "New Open kitchen" or "snazzy barn door." And put them on the lawn next to the For Sale By Owner sign. What do you think? I figure it couldn't hurt. What do you think the signs should say?? Thanks for any input.

Do lawn signs in the neighborhood usually have that type of information? The signs around here usually don't, so the professional real estate agents around here apparently haven't found that type of information on signs helpful. What the lawn signs around here do have, and what I think is really helpful, is a box or tube that contains paper copies of the listing flyer, with lots of pictures, in color. Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, providing the listing flyer is going to be a lot more cost-effective than paying for small signs with a few words.

Additionally, I would suggest:
- using a service that will list your home on the MLS for a set fee
- getting professional photos taken, rather than taking the photos yourself, since if the photos aren't good, people won't bother to look at your house
- putting the website listing address on the lawn sign

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 1
We have been trying to sell a rent house of ours. For Sale By Owner.

Are you prepared to put in all the work needed to sell it?

I've been on the buying side of a FSBO - and IMO they "saved" 6%, but it was a bad financial move. I think they under-priced it, and didn't get enough exposure to get enough buyers viewing it. More buyers would have gotten the price up higher via a bidding war.

I don't think I'd use the word "snazzy" in any flier, etc.
And I agree with the suggestions in the other response to this thread... Basically do the things a RE agent would do. Use MLS, use zillow, use craigslist, create a professional looking flier. Heck, even put it on facebook or other social media - you might have a friend of a friend interested in moving into your neighborhood.
I would suggest what AJ mentioned. All the for sale homes around here have an information sheet in a box or tube. When I'm out and about and see a home for sale, I hate it when all the information sheets are gone. You should make sure you keep it stocked.

As for your "new open kitchen", I would be turned off if all I found was a wall removed and new lights and countertops. I would be expecting to see new cabinets and appliance. I wouldn't have expected "new open" to mean a wall was removed.
I think the best thing you could do to market your FSBO would be to make sure it is on the MLS and that there is absolutely no ambiguity as to what commission you are ready to pay the buyer's agent to bring them to the table.
No. of Recommendations: 0
When we sold one house (I think it was the one in New Jersey), the Realtor gave us some cards to put around (or tape) to point out features we thought buyers might be interested in.

Chili
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<When we sold one house (I think it was the one in New Jersey), the Realtor gave us some cards to put around (or tape) to point out features we thought buyers might be interested in.

Chili>>

Sounds tacky. What did the realtor do?

Seattle Pioneer