No. of Recommendations: 0
I think the NRA would argue that requiring permits is an infringement on the 2A, wouldn't they?

No idea. Since this is a state law, I am not sure where the problem would be. One still has to get a background check to purchase. The permit is for ownership which combats the ease of people simply giving such away after purchase. I don't recall but the news story on this topic mentioned the fact that a few thousand where denied a permit last year.

What if Indiana required people to take gun competence training before they get a license

I think you mean permit. I am not opposed to state-required training as long as it is not costly and/or there are means by which someone can get such for free. I would not want it to become a means test.

aren't you advancing the case that any time an inexperienced person acquires a gun of any type, they are more likely to increase the chances of unintended consequences?

No, I am illustrating that people want their rights and freedoms, even when they are not currently needing them - and that by taking such away, unintended consequences can be created.

So I don't think it is exactly an apples to apples comparison

Never suggested such. I specifically stated "some" things in common; not that they were excatly alike.

There is no push to ban all firearms, as there is a push to ban all abortion.

I disagree. I believe there is relatively as much support to ban both - though both are as likely to ever suffer such.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.