Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think the OP is right to want his statements, 1099-Rs, and 5498 at year-end to reflect the actual situation - and I give him credit for thinking about it now, rather than next Feb. 15.

I don't recall OP expressing any concern at all about those documents, nor do I see a reason to have any.

Schwab will issue a 1099-R for the traditional IRA showing the conversion. They may, but are not required to, issue 1099-R's for the direct transfer of the accounts to Vanguard. Schwab will issue a 5498 for the Roth account showing the conversion amount. The custodian reports nothing, nada, zilch, bupkes about recharacterizations. That's why the taxpayer attaches a statement to the 1040 telling the story. Check out the instructions for line 15 of the 1040 and the 8606.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.