Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
I think the PTA should just start working like the mob and tax us protection money of $20 a month each kid.

It would be far less painful than explaining to a 7 year old why I'd rather buy him a "finger pen" (WHATEVER THE EFF THAT ACTUALLY IS) than spend $12 on half a pound of sub-quality chocolate for him to "win" one.

Ah, the memories. This, too, shall pass.

The worst was the year when daughter was in a Catholic high school, and we had mandatory fund raisers. I bought my way out of the candy fund raiser, because I didn't want to do the admin work, impose on co-workers, and be stuck eating and paying for the least-desirable candy bars when the co-workers got tapped out. Instead of trying to sell $104 worth of candy, I wrote a check for the $52 profit. Worth. Every. Penny.

The biggest insult that year was the $50 per ticket 50/50 raffle, with the requirement to sell two. I wrote a check for $100 and recorded it in Quicken as "gambling loss." I could not in good faith ask someone to buy a $50 sucker chance to win $3000.

The best year was when the PTSO (Parent Teacher Student Organization) in elementary school bundled all the required school supplies and sold parents the bundle. I think it cost $12, which was cheaper than I would have paid buying the stuff myself. More to the point, all the right stuff was there in one place with no fighting to find it in the stores. I would have cheerfully paid $40 for that!

Maybe you could suggest that your local PTA bundle the required school supplies and offer them to parents at a premium price as a fund raiser? Like, do something to actually *save* the parents a hassle instead of just dumping additional hassle on them?

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.