No. of Recommendations: 2
I think the sentence you are referring to is:

"I schedule the hotels on Microsoft Outlook’s calendar software and make sure the check-out from each hotel overlaps the check-in on the next one – just as a sanity check".

Hotels normally make reservations from the day you check in until the day you check out.

If you show Hotel "A", checking in on February 10th and checking out on February 12th, Outlook's calendar would draw a line through the two days.

If you then checked into Hotel "B" on February 12th and checked out on the 14th Outlook would display the as a line through the 12th and extending through the 14th

Many of our trips are pretty complicated and may include a number of hotels, cruises, flights and so on. I have, a couple of times over the years made errors (fortunately always caught in time - so far) where lines just abutted, rather than overlapped.

The other thing I found, rather early in the game is that if you change the clock on a Windows laptop, Outlook's calendar and scheduler will offset everything and make a mess - so I always keep the PC on "Home" date and time.

Feel free to ask away if I've misinterpreted the question.

Amazon doesn't assign page numbers because the book can be read on anything from a mobile phone to a TV. Incidentally, on Microsoft Word with "narrow margins" (1/2" all around) it fills 1844 pages and over 950,000 words - a heck of a lot more than I anticipated in the beginning :-)

Jeff
(Author of "Take the High Road - A Primer for the Independent Traveler")
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.