Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I think the term "fairly large" is probably an over-statement. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a small business with less than 100 employees, not even big enough to have a full time IT person. They obviously overlooked the necessity of backups, which is the only explanation on why it took more than a day to recover from a server "crap out".

So it seems Mr. Wagoner took advantage of the incident to propose integration of Macs into this company. I wonder why the company bought into it, since they still retained the MS Exchange server. The NT domain still remains. I'm not aware of any move by Microsoft to port Exchange to MacOS. And the primary competitor to Exchange, Domino, is also not ported for the MacOS. So putting in the Mac serves do nothing to mitigate the problem he was called in to solve, which is a crashed mail server.

While he's very proud of managing to sell this construction company on Mac servers, I hope Mr. Wagoner also put in a tape backup system. After all, that's what the client really needed. But if consultants actually only gave clients what they needed, you wouldn't be able to bill as many hours putting in a new OS and new hardware.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.