Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I think there are more 401(k) millionaires than you realize. At 10% compounded it takes 25 years of saving 10,000 a year.

I did some projections on my own money and, if one includes both the member and employer balances in my pension, between my pension, 403(b), Roth IRA, and taxable investments, in 10 years when I retire it looks like the total will be about $1.2M, assuming 9% growth and continuing levels of contributions as at present. Of course a whole lot can happen between now and then.

My income isn't all that fantastic--I am just a working stiff at a community college--but I have been dilligent saving and about 5 years ago got serious about the 403(b) and later in taxable investments. It does help to live way below my means and to direct as much money as possible to savings and investing.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.