Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think understanding the domino potential of the quality of debt is extremely difficult. One has to be willing to read through a lot of 8-K's to get whether the company teeters on it's debt-to-capital fulcrum or has reasonable and safe leverage, even though the debt/equity or cash ratio may be identical. Standard price, income, earnings, cash flow, economic ratios and earning ladders fail to account for or display the consequences of missing criteria for staving off the dogs of debt calling in obligation.

Katrina's effects on Montpelier Re include not only the loss of equity but also the financial obligations incurred by the company to maintain capital/reserving ratios in order to be able to borrow at reasonable prices and to hold off lenders who could have otherwise forclosed.

US based airlines go bankrupt with such regularity that I have to believe there is virtually no scenario in which I would invest in one, directly or otherwise, including Southwest and JetBlue. What will happen to oil prices if Iraq's civil war spills into Saudi Arabia or Hugo Chavez decides Venezuela isn't going to sell oil to the US for a year? Doesn't seem worth the risk.

Rog
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.