Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think you are getting bogged down in the passive loss rules more than the depreciation rules. Your rental loss of $4,500 is generally deductible up to a maximum of $25,000 as long as your income does not exceed certain limits (generally $100,000). You should complete IRS form 8582.
These rules can be complex and professional help might be a wise choice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.