No. of Recommendations: 5
I think you are reading this incorrectly. The daughters are managing the finances. They are not paying for his care.
Thank you.

Yes, that is correct. Technically there is "zero cost." (They occasionally bring him food from his favorite deli or a picture for his wall they've had framed, but other than that they simply look at the bill each month, approve it, and pay it from his remaining funds (electronically.) The home would do this but the sisters prefer to "look first", which is understandable.

It is also true that once he gets to the "Medicaid" level the home will take those payments, leaving a small stipend per month for his personal incidentals (gum from the gift store) but then Medicaid has a right to attach other assets (if any) upon his death. There is a five-year "clawback" provision, so the home he gifted to one of the daughters may be subject to that (it was gifted 3 1/2 years ago) if he passes soon, which does not seem likely, based on his health. (I should note that "the home" is a double-wide trailer, it's not as though he has this fabulous asset hiding.

I also should mention, having given the examples of both my father and my father-in-law that both are religious institutions although neither requires any religious participation whatsoever. (Actually there's a third, where my father began, and then two years later transferred to another to be closer to my sister.)

They are, by name: Phoebe Berks in Wyomissing PA, House of the Good Shepherd in Hackettstown, NJ, (Methodist and Presbyterian, I think) and Abramson Center for Jewish Life in the Hatfield, PA area. As I say there is nothing overtly religious about any of the three: no ministers or rabbis skulking in the hallways, no velvet picture of Jesus or golden stars of David on the walls, but all have chapels and regular services (which are also telecast so the infirm can watch, if they desire). The level of care in all three is *excellent* so far as we can tell - and my sister was less than 5 minutes away, ditto for Mrs. Goofy's sister - and were regular and frequent visitors.

I'm sure it's easy to find one. Once, when my mother was still alive, she thought she might like to live near us in Tennessee, so we made personal visits to three. Only one of them passed our "sniff" test. One literally smelled like urine when we walked in the door. One was dark and dreary architecture; the staff seemed nice, the paint was in good condition but there just wasn't any light! The third would have been acceptable - but the other three mentioned above were superior. Also expensive. $5,000 mo for "independent living" which rose to $11,000 for "assisted living" and then to $13,000 for "skilled nursing". As I say, get in early and "graduate" if you need to. Your assets will never be a concern to you - unless you are determined to give them to other people when you die, which is perfectly acceptable if you have enough. But if you don't, pay yourself first.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.