No. of Recommendations: 0
I think you can point to several reasons for this.

Computers are ubiquitous today - virtually everyone already has one. At the heyday of the PC market, plenty of homes were still adding computers.

Despite Moore's Law advances, today's state of the art PC isn't noticeably better than one from a few years ago for the typical/casual user. This results in slower upgrade cycles than what you might have seen in the past. There's no longer a killer app or killer OS that's forcing people to stay with the latest hardware.

Gamers will always want a powerful rig, but a lot of people in that category self-build and/or self-upgrade. I know I haven't bought a pre-built PC in about 20 years, although I tend to build/upgrade mine every 2 years or so.

There's certainly some influence from the laptop and tablet markets as well. For casual web browsing and shopping, these do everything that many users care about doing. You can almost throw smartphones in the tablet category - smaller, but still usable for certain things.

I have a laptop, a tablet, a smartphone, and a desktop PC. They all get used at different times. But I still love my desktop PC. Especially now that it's hooked to a 55' wall-mounted lcd. Couch surfing, indeed...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.