Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I think you got most of the items. Just the wording of your first statement, The IRA will be treated more like straight income so the Capital gains are not the major factor. If you have other after tax investments then the capital gains are more relevant.
The question is what will RMD’s due to you in future years? Is it worth paying taxes on conversions now? The dollar amount and where the tax rates will be in future years is the real concern.
If you look at you totals and figure the RMD’s at 72 and beyond, Will those push you into a higher bracket every year.

The time horizon on when you will start using Roth money also plays a factor. Paying conversion taxes now, for a 5 or 10 year gain may not be worth it if the market is bearish for next 4-5 years. If market is bullish then it makes sense. If you plan on holding most of the Roth for 10 - 25 years then conversion makes sense.

I am in the same boat. Doing yearly conversions up to tax bracket. I think taxes will be higher in the future. Someone has to pay for all the stimulus being distributed in 2020.

Best of luck.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.