Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think you have to think a bit more clearly about how the market works.
The rate of return on stocks is not expected to be, and is not, the rate of rise of the value of the market index.
Each year you get the earnings on your holdings, not the rate of increase of the earnings of the holdings.
Over the very long run, real broad market earnings rise something near 2%/year, not 6.5%/year.

Sorry, I don't follow.
If the market index rises by 10% in a year (ignoring dividends for a minute) isn't that the rate of return on the stock prices? What else is it?
Similarly, if P/E is constant and ignoring buybacks, isn't the percentage rise in the stock prices the same as the percentage rise in earnings i.e. earnings growth?

Look-through earnings are not mine, they are for the company to dispose of as they see fit. My return comprises of dividends, multiple expansion, and earnings growth. I believe the late Jack Bogle agrees.

The bigger point:
Profits can't rise as a percentage of sales over time, except in the "up" portion of cyclical variation.
Even a thousand years from now, profits will not exceed 100% of sales. Probably never more than 20%, at a guess.
As real GDP generally rises only in the vicinity of 2%/year, that's the best net profits do as well, over the long run.
Hey, be a huge optimist, say 3%.

No doubt. But a company with a 5% profit margin and no variable costs, will double its stock price if the sales rise by 5% and that 100% is the return that stockholders will experience.
($100 sales - $95 cost = $5 profit; $105 sales - $95 cost = $10 profit; constant P/E).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.