No. of Recommendations: 9
I think you may have misunderstood my intent. My message was not intended as a blanket endorsement of TMFMax's article- I never even stated my agreement. Read
carefully- it was a commentary on the potential dangers that await us all, should we be impruden enough to assume that our posted thoughts are not subject to the same consequences that other forms of media are subject to. The right to disagree is central to the freedoms we enjoy as Americans, however, there is that burden of accuracy that must be taken into account whenever we choose to disagree. My message was really to the elan11, and others who would emulate them.

Hi Glenn,

I guess I just sounded off with my own opinion about this lawsuit while addressing your post. :) I realize you never endorsed the CSFB lawsuit or TMF Max's article. I also agree with you in that we should try to be as accurate as possible whenever posting. But you know thats not always possible, because we all get our information from a wide variety of sources and sometimes they're wrong. Barons, the WSJ and every other media outlet has had to make retractions from time to time and they are rarely sued for misstating facts that they must later correct. Isn't it a shame the Elan Eleven didn't say,"it has been alleged" or "in my opinion' or "I was told by a good authority that " Mr. Maris is goofy, or he did a very poor analysis of Elan or whatever? If they had been schooled in the language of a professional journalist this lawsuit might not have happened.

Maybe our forum should give some lessons on how Fools can criticize an analyst, a journalist or another poster with a very little chance of getting sued. We all know the obvious, don't make up lies to defame anyone, and don't use profanity but looking at what some of the Elan 11 said, were they all really lying in a malious effort to defame him? If we are stopped from criticizing an analyst or a politican's opinion that we do not agree with because of the fear of being sued, than we have lost a great deal of our freedom.

I wonder if TMF Max or TMF Law would like to write an article to help our community lean how to use the language of the journalists...These folks can "flame", insult and criticize just about anyone they please and rarely are they sued. I know many here would welcome it.

Thanks again Glen for your thoughts.

Keep Foolish and Prosper,

Spirit

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.