Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1

I think you still misunderstand. Ham radio is an absolute necessity, for me, just as boat slip would be an absolute necessity for someone else. Subsistence alone isn't enough to call a life.

Hedge

No, it isn't.
And I can prove it to you.
This is the scenario:
You can only pay for two things.
You put into the hat all the things you think are absolutely necessary.
Food
Shelter
Ham Radio
Health Insurance
Clothing

Then you draw from the hat.
You draw Ham Radio and Clothing.

Next, you find yourself on the street because you have no home and no food and no way to pay for any health care in the event you get sick. The loss of the home means loss of the ham radio, too, since you would have no place to put it any longer.

Necessity REALLY means necessity. Not "I REALLY REALLY want this in order to live a happy life." Necessity means "I REALLY REALLY have to have this in order to sustain life AT ALL."

See the difference?

So a ham radio is not a necessity. Not even for you.
But its importance is very very high for you once all the REAL necessities are taken care of.

Please note that I'm not arguing against you having a ham radio or another person having a boat. I think having things that make you happy is very important to quality of life. But first you must sustain that life -- and those things that sustain life are the true necessities and the first and foremost things you should ever take care of.

Anyway, didn't mean to start a big hoo-ha. I just found a boat slip rather humorous in a list of real necessities of life. Sorry if humor is not really wanted here. I'll try to watch it in future. ;o)

AM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.