No. of Recommendations: 0
I thought about this myself, but decided to only re-do my wife's SS when she's 66.
She retired at 62 and, since my SS is higher, she took the spousal benefit. Let's say it's 75% of what she'd get if she had started SS at her full retirement age, 66. When I die and she takes over my SS (higher than hers), she'll still have to use the 75% multiplier according to our local SS office people. So it will make a substantial difference to her retirement when I'm gone, assuming I'm first, to re-set her multiplier so she gets 100% of mine.

All of these things are complicated and depend on ones particular situation. In my case my wife started her benefit at 62 based upon my benefit and when she reaches full retirement age we will probably restart her benefit as well (depending on the numbers at the time). Of course the only way this can be done is if you can save the payment to pay back. I treat this as an interest free loan and invest the money.

I tried to find out if the inflation adjustment is a one way adjustment only

Here is an article I found on the subject:

http://www.filife.com/stories/social-security-benefits-unlik...

"The Short Story:

By law, your social security benefits cannot be reduced. However, with very low inflation expected this year, don't anticipate an increase in benefits either. "

The last thing that bothers me is that SS is not a contract in the usual sense. If the politicians decide they just can't afford
paying us SS at a certain rate, they can amend the law and payout in anyway they choose-

While politicians can, of course, do anything they want I do not think that they will ever have the political will to reduce payments to current recipients who vote in large numbers. They can, of course, means test but probably only against the "hated" top 1%.

I'm not there yet. :>)

OxBeaux
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.