Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
(I thought Gov. Gilmore said he was going to get rid of the "car tax." An unfulfilled campaign promise? I'm shocked.)

"No Car Tax" was the sound bite. The actual plan was to phase out the personal property tax on the first $20k of a car's value over five years. And rather than a flat 20%/40%/60%/80%/100% phaseout, they proposed a slower 12.5%/27.5%/47.5%/70%/100% phaseout. Nowhere near as nice as "No Car Tax," but still a significant tax cut.

So far the promise has been kept. Virginians are paying much less personal property tax than we used to. It of course remains to be seen if the state will go forward with phasing out the final 30% in 2002, especially if the economy is weak.

I expect that it will: the personal property tax is very unpopular because it's so honest and up-front (you send a check one or two times per year, rather than having the money silently taken from your paycheck or added to each purchase), and this pledge was the cornerstone of Gilmore's campaign, so I think he'd be more likely to make up the revenue in other ways (e.g. raising the sales tax from 4.5% to 6%) if necessary, than to back off on this.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.