Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I thought you would have had to declare your status to get the EIN, but I've not been a part of that process.

You sound like a 501(c)(7) organization, which is a social club. See for info from the IRS.

I used to be Treasurer for a local quilt guild, and we fell under those rules.

You definitely have to file taxes and would file a Form 990 which is fairly easy and fast if you're small and don't have much in the way of receipts.

As Treasurer, you most certainly have responsibilities, and I'd start by reading the IRS website, which is very user-friendly.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.