Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I too am a U of O grad, but I haven't received such a post card. Hmmm. They must like you more than they like me...or recognize you as someone of means :-)

This sounds like a CRUT or charitable remainder unitrust. Generally, the way these work is the trust will accept any kind of marketable securities you wish to donate, which, when administered by a trustee appointed by the charity (U of O foundation), the assets are usually sold and the proceeds asset allocated per the IPS of the trustee...often a bank or private investment manager or if the charity is large enough, its own asset manager. With a CRUT, at least 5% of the trusts value as of the beginning of a calendar year must be distributed to the trust beneficiary, which is usually the donor (you), although it could be a third party. This payout continues either for a fixed period or through you or your spouse's lifetime, the longer of. The tax character of the 5% distributions will be 'worst-first' of the trusts earnings for the year, which will be ordinary income (for realized interest and non-qualified divideds) long term capital gains, qualified dividends and then return of principal, reported to you each year on a K-1. I believe the trustee fees are taken out first...and they are usually around 1%/yr as I recall.

You are incentivized to contribute highly appreciated securities, as there is no long term capital gains tax upon donation. The current year charitable deduction depends on the trusts residual % target (which must be at least 10% of the donated amount), the discount rate used (called the Applicable Federal Rate, which changes each month), you and your spouses life expectancy, the frequency of the payments and the expected annual distribution amount. Its a present value calculation...but generally, the higher the discount rate, the higher the target residual rate, the smaller the annual distribution and the shorter the life expectancy, the greater will be the net present value and thus the greater the current charitable deduction. Of course, you need to itemize to get this deduction.

Not sure what the RMD you mention has to do with this...unless you are concerned about the added tax it creates, and the CRT is one way to generate yearly income to pay this added income tax??

Most I've occasioned who use a CRT will have it set up themselves and administer it themselves, as they can then set their own withdrawal rate, residual target and investments, which have to use the principals of MPT, as I recall.

Other than the immediate tax benefit, when set up and administered by the charity, it (the University Foundation) may provide you with a life benefit if you/your spouse live beyond life expectancy or if the trust runs out of money (unusual), but be sure to check with them, as this can vary.

Go Ducks!!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.