No. of Recommendations: 3
I took this to mean he would write a Put that would get exercised, the stock assigned and the premium would give him a lower entry price to the stock.

Correct. In the end, I did not go the put route. I put the money into MDB and wrote a covered call on those shares. I also scraped the loose change from the account and added 28% to my ESTC holding as the existing shares are going to get called away. I did not find an interesting call so will monitor that.

As a result I have 7 holdings with covered calls expiring July 19. Six of them would expire worthless at today's stock prices. My TWLO and TTD calls expired last Friday and I sold July 19 calls yesterday. The TWLO $145's were eclipsed first day as the shares are now at $145.40.

This is all a work in progress. Don't know how long I will continue. Entertaining, for sure. Denny said I was price anchoring, which is true--but Denny is in a pure covered call mode. He basically doesn't care what the share price does. He is not investing, he is harvesting the call premium plus stock appreciation. It might as well be invested in a variable interest rate vehicle--just much higher return. The stocks are selected based on the short term return, not on the future of the companies. I am still in an investment mode and experimenting with increasing return. It is interesting, though, that I have what I would describe as Denny's attitude towards my new MDB shares. They are not an investment. Just a one week fling and then on to something new next week.

KC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.