Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I trade at Fidelity. I short stocks. On my Fidelity account, I have "short sale fee" identified on my 2013 Tax Reporting Statement. Are these fees tax deductible? Which form would the data be entered on if it is tax deductible?

Ask Fidelity exactly what this is. If it's a straight fee, it would be deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to 2% AGI haircut. If it's a form of margin interest, it would be a deductible interest expense subject to limitations calculated on Form 4952. It might even be something else.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.