Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I tried to get my $100 from citibank but their address verification system sparked a slew of problems. here's the post I put on the Credit Card board:

While I've liked my citibank cashback credit card I personally was very disappointed with their online banking division.
(warning, kinda long)
I sent them $1,500 to open the account for the 100 bucks but I now have my $1,500 back in my main bank thanks to what I see as a big system integration issue on their end.
What happened is that I moved (more on that later) while they were doing their "address verification" on me. CRAs were calling me every other day at the old place and leaving messages. I called back and told them I was moving and would it be okay to do the verification in a couple of weeks once I had documentation at my new place so I wouldn't have to re-order checks. Fine I was told. But the CRAs kept calling and I kept telling them the same thing and they kept saying fine.
I'll spare you all the details but after having a problem logging on I called the support number and the CRA tells me I was going to the wrong website. fyi you should use www.citibankonline.com not go to www.citibank.com then logging in. I hang up and log in. I set up a couple of payees so I can meet the requirements to get my $100.
The next day I log in to see if the payees got set up properly and see that my account has a deduction for the full amount. I call customer service and find out my account has been closed! Apparently during the week where I spoke to different CRAs almost every day (official change of address, calling to make sure they received the fax proving my address and online problems) my account was already closed days prior due to not being able to verify my address and none of the CRAs or the website indicated this to me.
I'm baffled, as is the CRA I'm speaking to, so i get sent to a supervisor who basically says sorry but we couldn't verify your address and at this point the account is closed and a check was sent to you so all I can really do is help you open a new account. "Well where did you send the check?" the original address you had on the account. "So you sent the check to the address you couldn't confirm (my old address) but didn't send it to the new address that you had in your system with paperwork to back it up days before you cut the check?" Yes was the reply.
So I told her but I can't imagine banking with Citibank until they show me that their system has its kinks worked out.
The craziest thing?: I get to the new apt the next day and lo and behold the check is there despite what the CRA said about it going to my old address. Even stranger, I live in L.A. and the check is cut by Citibank Los Angeles for Citibank, Nevada but the envelope is from Citibank Mortage (which I have never delt with) and mailed from Missouri. And the slip inside the envelope says, "per your request we have closed the account..."
Please someone tell me this is a fluke!
Snerge
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.