No. of Recommendations: 1
I understand, but the key word is potential. The key item is time frame. It takes a great deal of time to build a power plant - 5 to 10 years even for natural gas. While many people are concerned about carbon emissions from coal plants, net carbon emissions for charging electric cars are less then 40% of the gasoline costs for even 30 mpg cars.

If your time frames for investment i.e. until death are under 20 years I would forget this issue. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have been told Phillip Morris was dead -- it out lived General Motors.

The greenhouse gas tailoring rule regulation greenhouse gases was promulgated on May 13, 2010.

The boiler MACT is due to be promulgated on 12/16/2010. The proposed rule lowers emission standards quite a bit over the current standards. MACT usually have a 3 year compliance frame.

EPA is proposing a lower ambient air quality standard for ozone. That rule may come out any day now. It was due in August.

Of the three rules I mentioned, this could be the most devastating to the utilities and the economy in general. In some areas like NC, reducing nitrogen oxide emissions from power plants is one of the main control strategies. All of these regulations are or will be final soon and compliance will take place over the next few years, costing utilities billions of dollars.

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.