Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I understand, now let me add a wrinkle. If I were to go back to the U.S, for example, in November 2007 and earn more than $4000 by December 31, 2007, then I could contribute to either Roth or Traditional IRA for 2007, correct?

what i used to do, back when i was an expat with foreign earned income looking to fund a roth IRA, was this:

first, i elected to qualify for the exclusion under the physical presence test, rather than the bona-fide resident test (although i was indeed a bona-fide foreign resident).

then i claimed a number of days' physical presence in the foreign country that would be sufficient to exclude all of my foreign income, except for the then-current maximum contribution to an IRA. you can calculate this by solving x/365 = (max contribution) / (max exclusion).

hey presto.

i think it's probably unnecessary to do this - i don't think there is any law that you must claim the maximum exclusion to which you're entitled, and you can just go ahead & exclude less at will. however, the above method does produce a good documentary trail of what you're doing. ought to help out if you get questions (i never did).

trp
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.