No. of Recommendations: 1
I understand that hoarding is distinct from cluttering. We don't hoard, but we aren't neat as a pin either. We're OK at cleaning, but not so good at keeping clutter at bay, especially in the home office and on the dining table, which accumulate paper, and the laundry room/mud room. We have dinner guests often enough that at least the dining table clutter can't get too old!

I don't derive much pleasure or solace from shopping, yard saling, fixing up castoffs found on the street--in fact i pretty much hate to shop period except for food (which I like too much!), I even hate to shop online and procrastinate doing it even when I need something. I just don't typically feel joy from acquiring things--more of a thank goodness that's done so i dont have to do it. Honestly, I think i just don't like making purchasing decisions.

Gifts are a source of clutter for me, so I've actually gotten to almist dislike receiving them as it's hard to part with gifts from loved ones even when I don't need or like the items. Also, when I was working poor, my mother used to give me most of her household detritus, from her used clothing to household items no longer wanted, and it was hard for me to get rid of stuff from my Mom. She still tries to do that, but I refuse to accept stuff now (yay!).

It's DH's job to do the dishes and sometimes he doesn't quite finish (or even start), except for running the dishwasher, which for some reason he enjoys, and he tends to leave things where he used them like kitchen implements, tools, phone, remotes. He also thinks of himself as a person who builds and fixes and has acquired tools and such that have rarely or never been used (grrrr). I'm less likely to acquire things I don't use, but have never used the breadmaker I bought myself for Christmas a few years ago. I'm gluten intolerant and intended to make gluten-free bread, but instead I just pretty much stopped eating bread!

One clutter solution that saves money, time and mess (and saves decisions, which I love!) is that I stopped subscribing to anything other than online news/newsletters/blogs. No paper newspapers or magazines coming into the house is awesome! Surprisingly, I don't miss anything. I prefer to read online anyway.

Another solution is that I pretty much stopped buying clothing and accessories for either of us. To implement this, I just stay out of clothing or department stores (if I'm at, say, Target, I just steer clear of the clothing area).

We clean with white vinegar, baking soda and ammonia, so no cleaning supplies clutter. We use Dr Bonners liquid soap for hand and dish washing as well as shampoo, and I use white vinegar as conditioner, so no need for a jumble of shampoos, soaps. I don't wear perfume or much makeup, which prevents that sort of clutter.

I do keep cases of canned/boxed/bagged stuff on hand as a prepper thing like canned tomatoes, almond milk, beans, tuna, TP, Kleenex.

I find spending months at a time on our RV, with it's tiny living space and storage, is very relaxing. I hate the burden and responsibility of owning lots of stuff.

When DH retired 5 months ago, he got rid of old computers and such. I need to likewise purge kitchen items, but...having a hard time with that, mainly coz most of the unused/rarely used items were gifts! He needs to purge the garage, too. It's small and we can still park the cars in it, but there are many unused items (not household overflow, luckily).

With rare exceptions, we don't buy paper books any more, but since our books already exceed the carting capacity of their book shelves, this is a modest achievement!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.