Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I use Alton Brown's recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/center-cut-t... with a couple of changes.

I use thyme instead of the cumin. I also add 1 tsp garlic powder.

Remember to take the roast out about an hour or two before cooking to let it come to room temperature.

We like it rare, so I cook it to about 120 for us, and I do 125 to 130 for more medium if we are having company.

It takes about 20 minutes per pound for the roasting time. This is important because I tend to get a 2 to 3 pound roast. So this year, I have an almost 3 pound roast, which will give us great left overs, and so my timing looks like this:

10 minutes for searing
15 minutes to rest
~1 hour for roasting time
30 minutes for resting

So it will take about 2 hours just for the cooking, and I will take the roast out 2 hours before that.

This is more a cooking method than a recipe, but it makes the most amazing roast tenderloin. The meat is pricey (I paid $25/pound for it this morning), but I only make this two or three times a year for special dinners. And even with everything I plan to make, we will come in much less expensive than if we were to go out for the same meal, but we find it a whole lot more relaxing and enjoyable just cooking and having dinner in our dining room.

If you try this, let me know how you like it. It can be a bit intimidating to cook something this expensive, but once you've done it once or twice, you get a bit more confident.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.