No. of Recommendations: 0
I use Pensco--they made sense initially--need to update my calculations and see who else is providing these services to see if they still make sense--which is why I was asking about current providers. Nothing in particular that I don't like with Pensco--maybe it's just that there is so much more to pay attention to than with the simple Vanguard/Fidelity/etc. accounts....

You definitely have to read the fine print (and ask questions) with these accounts so that you understand what you may and may not do. But if you have the right situation, they can be quite lucrative.

**I bought a vacant lot and sold it 18 months later (no realtor) for a 50% profit. That kind of makes up for several years of the funds just sitting there.

**I have another property (house) that has been sitting vacant and unfinished for several years while the account accumulated enough to proceed on the remodeling. By this time next year it should be netting about $1000/month (on a $100K investment once remodeling is complete) into a Roth IRA. And city laws might be changing to allow us to split the property (1.9 acres) and put up a second house. If that happens, we would probably pull the split lot out of the account (tax free), build the house (combination of current funds and small loan), move into it for a couple of years (it's only 15 miles down the road from our current house), and then sell it (tax free according to current tax law).

**Lots of options, lots of rules to understand.

Another thought on these--we look at this as a bit more diversification from all the Wall Street stuff.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.