Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I use to be somewhat of an antitrust law expert a few years back. But since I never practiced antitrust law its kind of slipped my mind a bit.

But I'll state something that gives the countersuit some credit: RMBS only sued Hitachi (not any other competitor) and we Fools tended to interpret this as a we will hurt Hitachi so the rest of you industry folks better stay in line.

This would be an intent to monopolize and industry. And many of us expressed this very intent without delving into the legal ramifications.

This said, wil is stand up in court? I don't know. A patent is a legal way to get around the Sherman Act. Plus the burden of proof by preponderance of the evidence will be on Hitachi. And any case Hitachi might make will take years.

In the end, unless Hitachi is really serious about this I think it probably amounts more to trying to strengthen their hand for settlement talks. But I have not read the pleadings and have not been privy to the internal workings of the companies. These things can fall on fine factual interpretations.

On a danger scale of 1-10 10 being screaming danger and 1 being mock laughter I put this threat a 3. More than RMBS just laughing at Hitachi but less than something that builds a bead of sweat on the forehead.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.