Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I use Turbotax. For last 2 years I've had all the normal deductions, including rental property and refinances. Granted, it is straight froward, BUT, time consuming as you need to be very careful in what you can and cannot claim, plus, calculating basis can be difficult. I just take it slow when I get to the rental property, have all my paperwork ready and organized, review all documents and check my totals, along with keeping ALL notes and calculations (side sheet with breakdowns). Once you have determined the basis correctly, the hardest part is the appropriate finance charges and other amounts that can be either deducted in full, or amortized over the term of the loan. Either way, having all the paperwork available, plus previous years returns, makes it straight forward.

I doing doing my taxes. I don't really want to pay somebody to do exactly what I can do. Others will disagree, but, I believe that the tax programs are going to tell me all that is legally available to me. I need to keep records over the year, that the difficult part.

I mean, I even calculate the cost of cell phone costs to my agent or tenants...

cat
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.