No. of Recommendations: 0
I used to shut down my computer every night, and I'd get a disk crash every couple of years. Now I keep the computer on all the time. I just disconnect it physically from the internet when I'm not using it, to reduce the chance of hackers doing damage.

I found out, experimentally, what was already known by professionals like Google, that what really kills hard drives is starting them up and stopping them (mostly the former). And when I really cared, I was running Linux where (at the time) it was difficult to power down a hard drive and keep the system up (though times have changed), so I just left them running 24/7. And in the last 19 years or so, none of them went bad. I had one computer with six 10,000 rpm SCSI hard drives, another with two of those, and a third with simple WD 7200 rpm drives. One of those simple drives quit after about 12 years. It did not exactly crash, but it was hard to get it to spin the disks.

As far as disconnecting from the Internet, I do not bother. My rationale is that my router has a primitive firewall in it that will not accept incoming traffic except what is in response to what I send out. My OS also has a firewall that is even more strict and controls both what comes in and what goes out. The easiest way to hack my computer is to masquerade as my software supplier, including their encrypted and signed updates, and download something really nasty. But even there, they would have to do a man-in-the-middle attack at just the right time. IMAO, if the really nasties wanted access to my machine, they would break into my house and install a suitable key logger.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.