Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
I voted "he lost me after the first paragraph", but I thought I understood what he was getting a few months ago when he first started posting, and I had a higher tollerance for 5000 word essays.

Basically what he's saying is that he would get a higher safe withdrawl rate from a 50/50 stock allocation than an 80/20 because he doesn't have the nuts to stick out an 80/20 through a bear like this, and would have sold at one the the 5 year lows.

That is why math won't help him, because you can't put a formula to the human behavior that would cause him to sell out of his 80/20. So we can't figure out what his safe withdrawl rate would be for an 80/20(lemming) portfolio would be. We can only tell him what it would be for a 50/50, which brings up a number he doesn't want to hear.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.