Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I voted that I don't know enough about it. I do know something about growing pains however. Before I lived here in Denver, I lived in Austin for seven years and watched with fascination as the environmentalists and real estate developers fought it out over development.

These people hated each other - wanted to kill each other. That part was scary. The good part though is that even though the city council was a pack of buffoons, they had to do something to satisfy both sides. So the general course of action, at least on the west side of the city, which was more ecologically sensitive, was that huge contiguous tracts of land had to be set aside as natural habitat. An acre for an acre or some such ratio. The developers were required to purchase the additional land and turn it over to the public.

They still made loads of dough because these area were far more pleasant to live in and became quite desireable. Also, there was a general xeriscape, or don't touch it at all frame of mind over there, so even the homeowner's land was more minmally impacted.

I live in Aurora, but also own land up in Park county. Every time I drive up there, I see the signs condemning the city plans to take Park county water. It just drives me crazy to see the sprinkler systems going every day in my covenant controlled neioghborhood. But I guess that's a whole other thread...

BTW, aside from the details of 24, can anyone tell me about the underlying principles? What I mean to ask is if 24 is an attempt to keep people from moving to Colorado, or is it just an attempt to manage the growth the seems so inevitable?

Miriam
...curious...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.