No. of Recommendations: 4
I want my money to be spent in ways that reflect the values of our society and culture--that we don't leave the old and infirm people to fend for themselves, that we have a cushion to help people who've worked hard all their lives, but who can't work any more.

And I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that.

The problem is you keep saying "some people" this and "some people" that... so we're talking some subset of the population who has mental disabilities, etc. Not the majority. Why, then, does EVERYONE have to be in this program that, no matter how you slice it, takes more from them than it provides back to them? Especially since it creates the (very) false impression that, hey, SS is my retirement! True, even the SSA flat out says that, no, it is NOT what ANYONE should be retiring on but how many millions of people don't know that?

I detest SS, entirely. You'll find nobody on these boards who dislikes it more than I do, I guarantee that. So, sure, I'm biased... but my bias is that the vast majority of people DO NOT NEED IT. At all. And that far more people undersave because SS exists than those who are "saved" by it. It's a cycle of dependence and lowered expectations that does the exact opposite of what proponents of SS claim as the great virtue of the program IMHO.

Your ideals, your "compassion", is gravely misplaced IMHO. Intentions mean jack squat. It's results that matter. Cold hard numbers. And the cold hard numbers say SS sucks on toast. Period. We're ALL worse off for it, the young the person the more they are screwed over by it. That's not truly compassionate... not by a long shot. Basically saying "we have to screw over younger workers to make up for the older generation screwing us over" is, well, insanity! How is that at all compatible with the American ideal? It's a total refutation of the ideals we were founded upon and is fiscal insanity to boot! So, no, I don't buy the "we're nice enough to do this for old people." That's crap. It's ignoring the 3 ton elephant in the room... THE MATH DOESN'T ADD UP! You can't get blood from a stone, there's no such thing as a free lunch, etc.! It just doesn't bode well for the continued existence of our society.

One can certainly take the "Meh, it'll collapse long after I'm gone, what do I care?" view (not that you are explicitly, but implicitly that's pretty much what the pro-SS view boils down to), but I wouldn't call that compassion either. Greed, sure, but not compassion.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.