Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I want the guilty to encounter justice

=========================

As do I. However, I honestly do not know who the 'potentially' guilty are. The people I know are not terrorists of any kind, and I would not begin to know where to find any who might exist in my vicinity.

Is that hard to believe?

As far as the rest of your response goes, I do in part agree with you. I agree that the Muslims have not been organized, or forceful enough in their condemnations of the acts of terrorism which have occurred recently and in the past. There have been some strong condemnations, but they have received little to no press. There do need to be more.

So let me explain my situation to you and how I am working to 'purge militancy' on any level from the circles I move in. This does not involve arranging press conferences, but might in the near future involve articles submitted to the local paper. I have 5 kids ages 8 and under. The last one is only 6 months old, and I am drowning in the work of feeding, clothing, paying bills, working on the side at the computer, and so on. I work hard to teach my children what our beliefs are, and the importance of respecting the beliefs of others. I work hard to instill in them the knowledge that the acts of Muslims on 9/11 were not at all the kind of thing Muslims should be doing, and why that is so. I teach a Sunday school class of 12 or so other kids, and I have sent that message to them. The message of tolerance, of kindness to others, of how one should behave toward others be they Muslim or not. I have told them (and will tell them again tomorrow) that the actions of terrorists who call themselves Muslims can NEVER be justified through Islam. I do this same work with the groups of women I meet with, and with other larger groups. When they toss out this or that conspiracy theory about how Muslims didn't commit the acts of 9/11, I tell them that even if one day we find these theories to be true (highly unlikely), that there were Muslims who applauded the actions of the hijackers (none that I know...only what I heard on the news), and that we MUST deal with the origins of this type of extremism within our community.

This is my work within my community. It is the planting of seeds wherever I may, especially in the minds of the young people. To me, it is FAR more important than any other work I might do. It will not make it to CNNs website, it will probably not make it to the local paper, but it is critical, and it is my effort to combat intolerance from within.

I do not expect you to fear me. What I expect is that if you were to meet me and my family, you would come away with a very different view of what I 'should' be doing. You would understand that we, and so many like us, are simple people who only want to live our lives peacefully. It is in no way my 'fault' that some sociopathic individuals have decided to murder in the name of Islam, and there is little to nothing I can do to stop those bent on such acts.

e
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.