Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I want to choose my own provider.

Yes, an extensive list of in network providers is a major item in deciding to use any of the network based policies.

My experience is that providers tend to prefer certain insurers and those insurers usually have the most extensive list.

But its regional. When I moved from NJ to Missouri, my employer was self insured but had contracted with Cigna to manage the plan. In St. Louis, the Cigna list of in network providers was out of date and had not been updated for years. Here Anthem/Blue Cross is king, but I find AARP United Health Care is widely accepted.

First consideration is that your doctors and hospitals are in network. But second is an extensive list, which can give you more choices for your future needs.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.