Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I want to give 10,000 $ to an adult child who is a grad student and not a dependent. I can give cash, or can give 10,000 $ of appreciated stock. (even though we currently have a nominal federal 15% capital gains tax rate, when I realize a capital gain fully it always comes out to be about 30 cents on the dollar after all state taxes and other downstream effects the gain has on AGI).

The kid has no income, and therefore would not owe any capital gains tax on the sale of the transferred stock either, if even though he assumes my cost basis.

Is there something in this scenario that I am missing?

Possibly Kiddie Tax, which is not restricted to dependent children. See Pub 929.

Speaking of dependents, if he doesn't qualify as yours, who's supporting him?

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.