Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 26
I want to take her away for a vacation. We havent really done much together in the last 3 years, since DD joined our clan. Problem is, I really dont want to take the money from our e fund, and I also dont have money set for a vacation (we used it taking DD to Disney earlier this year.

So, I am thinking I might open a new rewards card.

The idea being that it could offset trip costs.

and, from another post:

1) I do not want the trip so much as to pull from an efund
2) I do not want the trip so much that I would pay more than a single 2% BT fee if necessary to do it at 0% for 12 months
3) There really isnt much I can defer to pay for this.
4) The trip must be paid for, in full, in 12 months (so I can use 0% offer I have)

I have no outstanding CC balances. I dont pay interest. I have no interest in paying interest

No matter how many times or how many different ways you try to tell yourself (and us) that you don't really want to spend the money, and you are just going to open the credit card to help you 'save' money - it's not true.

Your actions speak louder than your words.

Planning to spend money that you don't have so that you can take a second vacation, especially when you have a significant new set of expenses due in March, is not an action that is consistent with your claims to be fiscally conservative.

No rewards card that you get is going to fully pay for a trip like you are talking about in the timeframe you have. And if you don't get enough points for the Hilton option through spending, you seem to be willing to buy the points for the rest.

While you 'say' you don't believe in paying interest, you seem to fail to realize that a BT fee is just that - pre-paid interest - and the fact that you are willing to pay a BT fee means that you are willing to pay interest. (And, by the way, do you actually have a 2% BT fee offer on a card that's not used for any recurring payments, etc.?)

Your refusal to consider a cheaper vacation at or near home that would get you the 'adult alone time' that you are using to justify the reason for the trip shows that it's not the alone time you're interested in, it's the trip.

I doubt you'll be successful in getting the validation you seem to be seeking about taking out a card here. And if you were actually looking for analysis of the different offers, I don't know that you'll get much more than you've already gotten.

If you're going to take the vacation, go ahead and take the vacation. If you want a new credit card, then go ahead and get the card.
Quit trying to justify the taking the vacation by saying the card will pay for it, because it won't.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.