Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I want to try a stab at this one even though I an knew.
I have read the book and intend to read it again.

I do believe valuation must be taken into consideration. Stocks can not have infinite value.
I would look for indicators as to when to sell. To me the biggest sell indicator of all time was when some brokerage firm came out with an opinion that QCOM was wort $1000 a share. On what rationale was this made?
It did suck the last round of speculators in on the stock, thinking such gains could go on forever.
I considered shorting it. Not usually wise when it comes to gorillas.

I read on the Fool board that the price of $1000 would require QCOM to license this technology to everyone on the planet CDMA technology within 3-5 years. What chance is there for this to happen within that timeframe? The price of a phone exceeds the monthly, perhaps annual income of many people in the poorest regions of the world.

I now understand that there are other uses for this technology, but were they attainable in a reasonable timeframe to support a price of $1000. The market clearly said NO!

One should always evaluate the price of a stock, compared to SUBSTAINABLE growth, to see if the price merits a buy or a sell. I believe many could have timed an exit on QCOM better than they did.

Admittedly this is easy to see in hindsight, and perhaps easier for me to see at the time because I did not have QCOM, nor had I read the bible at that point.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.