Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I wanted #500 to be something significant, but this will have to do:

So, do you want to submit a proposal for a shareholder vote at a company in which you own shares? There are some limitations. You have to prove that you have owned the shares for over one year, with a minimum ownership of $2,000 worth, or 1%, of the company (whichever is higher). Your proposal and all supporting statements must be no longer than 500 words. Other procedural issues are spelled out pretty well in this University of Cincinnati Law School document. And that's about it.

Minimum 1%? Seems like an awful lot. Does that mean (and correct me if I'm wrong) that, since AAPL is worth approximately $4 Billion, you would need to own $40 Million worth of stock in order to submit a proposal? Am I understanding this right?

If that's the case then, Rodg, can I borrow a few bucks? ;)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.