Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I was a SAHM until three years ago when my youngest went off to kindergarten. Bringing in a second income again (with an 8:00 to 2:00 job) has been an absolute windfall. Think about it...you've lived off the one income for years and then you have extra money. I think most non-fire types actually start taking more vacations and "treating" themselves, but I am getting great satisfaction just sockin' the dough away. Don't just live below you means, consider investing the entire second paycheck.

We have a few years yet until both of our kids are in school all day but this is something my DW and I have discussed. As you mentioned, the key is finding something that will allow to work around the school schedule to some degree or pay well enough to cover childcare when needed. And since we are used to living on just my income, that would give us additional funds to stash away for FIRE.

If you don't mind sharing, what do you do? Are you self-employed or are you working for a business? One place my DW has thought might work well when she is ready is Target. They are right near our house and seem to have many shifts available. Plus she loves to shop there so the discount would be a benefit as well.

She may also focus more time on becoming self-employed. She has been doing rubber-stamping, making jewelry, and other crafty things and thinking about the possibility of turning that into a small business. Since we have a few years until her time will be more available, we can take some time to think about what she really wants to do.

dt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.